Director of Communications
REPORTS TO: CEO
POSITION SUMMARY Our work and approach are quite unique. We are focused entirely on the outcomes. Our mission is to expand educational opportunities that lead to improved economic outcomes for all Americans, particularly our youth, ensuring that the conditions are ripe for innovation, freedom and flexibility throughout U.S. education. As such, we prod and we expect to be reaching the sky and raising expectations of ourselves and others around us. We are passionate about education opportunity and that passion is seen through our work and our accomplishments as an organization. This is our culture.
The Director of Communications will execute and guide strategy for all communications and messaging to consistently articulate CER’s mission and brand. He/She ensures CER is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within its diverse network and constituent base and works closely with a senior peer group within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives. The Director of Communications will be a trusted team member who will play an important role in the operation and growth of our organization.
CER values professionalism in its employees. The following attributes and behaviors are identified as examples of what is expected of an employee:
- Display empathy and positive regard for others in written, verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Work effectively with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality, respect for deadlines, collaborative problem solving, and honest communication.
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility.
- Maintain proficiency as needed and approved by attending trainings, reading job-related materials, and meeting with others in area of responsibility.
- Dress appropriately for a workplace with frequent customer service interaction and community outreach.
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality and safety.
- Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
- Plan, write, create, or direct the creation of compelling materials to various audiences including but not limited to media, policymakers, donors, and public about CER’s mission and vision.
- Oversee distribution of these materials through existing and new channels.
- Communicate with leadership team to keep them in the loop by being responsive, advising them on issues related to strategy.
- Manage the communications team to ensure that the team is on task, message, and adhering to deadlines.
- Build and maintain relationships with the media (traditional and social).
- Ensure that content on website and social media is up to date and relevant.
- Other duties as assigned
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Media Relations – Fields calls from the media. Directs communications team on strategies to increase usage by the media (and others) of CER’s publications and tools,
- Press Secretary – Promote CER’s work to the media and ensure messages communicated to media are consistent with CER’s brand, mission, and policy perspectives. Guides Communications team to act quickly when messaging needs to go out across all of CER’s channels regarding breaking news items; delegates appropriate spokespersons for media interviews to represent CER.
- Marketing/Branding – Oversee implementation of CER branding for routine and new materials, publications, campaigns, and activities; plan and execute rollout for release of CER content and products.
- Advance – Create plan of all logistics for any press events, panel presentations, or other large events involving a CER staff member. Execute plans to ensure largest media impact and prepare and execute any timely follow-up plans.
- Website – Oversee management and development of all web properties.
DESIRED CHARACTER STRENGTHS
- Exceptionally strong communication skills (spoken, written)
- Metrics focused
- Creative and forward thinking
- Commitment to accuracy and excellence
- Hard-working & production oriented
- Ability to multi-task
- Deadline oriented
- Results driven self-starter, professional and genuine communicator, flexible and adaptive but persistent achiever.
- Knowledge of and commitment to education reform issues is required.
- Commitment to school choice.
- Bachelor’s degree, plus at least 3-5 years of experience, preferably in the public policy space
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to analyze and synthesize information
- Produces new ideas, approaches, or insights; creates innovative products or designs; produces a range of solutions to problems
- Writes convincingly, clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience
- Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence; responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility
- Attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple responsibilities without constant supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills; Ability to work collaboratively with staff, other organizations, and the public
- Experience MS Office, particularly Word, PowerPoint, and Excel as well as other productivity focused tools.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to deal with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and diverse array of contacts.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled office environment.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please send cover letter, resume and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org.